Melbourne Firefighter Stair Climb
On Saturday 2nd September 2017, you can be one of 500 Firefighters to “Step up to the fight against Depression, PTSD and Suicide” by climbing up the 28 floors of Crown Metropol Hotel wearing 25kgs of Turnout Gear and Breathing Apparatus.
This year, the Firefighter's Charity Fund with your help aims to raise $500,000 to improve support services, fund research, remove stigmas and raise awareness of Mental health issues like depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and suicide, especially for those within the Emergency Service and Defence communities..
- 3 million Australians are living with depression and anxiety
- 1 in 4 Australians will suffer from a mental illness in their lifetime
- Suicide is the leading cause of death for Australians aged between 15 and 44
- 3,000 Australians die by suicide every year, an average of eight people every day.
- 10% of our Emergency Services suffer from PTSD
- 41 returned Australian Diggers have died by their own hand on home soil, which is more than we lost on the battlefield during 14 years of war in Afghanistan
Sponsor a firefighter
Below are just a few of the firefighters climbing this year. Please take a minute to read why they are taking part.
Check out what happened at the 2016 MFSC
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the success of the 2016 MFSC raising $348,148 to help the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute improve the health of our kids!
Top Fundraisers 2016
FR NSW Coolamon$5,637
MFB West Melbourne$4,176